Types of cookies
- Technical cookies – These are useful cookies for the correct operation of the site, they are used to allow the use of the site’s features such as: user profile management, travel booking, order management in an e-commerce cart …
- Profiling cookies – These are cookies used to identify (anonymously and not) user preferences and improve your browsing experience, as well as propose advertising.
Based on the ownership of cookies, they distinguish:
- Proprietary cookies (also called first-party-cookies or first-party cookies) – These are cookies sent directly from the site.
- Third-party cookies (also called third-party cookies or third-party cookies) – These are cookies transmitted via the site from external sites. An example of cookies managed by third parties is the presence of social plugins (for Facebook, Twitter, Google+ , LinkedIn, etc.), ie parts of the page generated directly from external sites and integrated into the page of the host site.The most common use of social plugins is aimed at sharing content on social networks. This distinction between the two owners must be taken into account in order to correctly identify the roles and responsibilities of the cookies themselves.
The site that hosts third-party cookies is to be considered a technical intermediary that must inform users about the presence of these cookies and give appropriate instructions on how to manage them.
Based on the duration of the cookies, the following are distinguished:
- Temporary cookies – These are cookies that expire at the end of the session, ie when the browser is closed. Usually they are technical cookies.
- Permanent cookies – These are cookies that remain on the user’s terminal after the browser session is closed. Normally they are profiling cookies.
The user can decide whether to accept, reject or manage cookies using the settings on his browser.
The setting can be defined specifically for the different sites.
Below are the instructions for managing cookies on the main browsers:
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?hl=en
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/clear-cookies-and-site-data-firefox
- Edge: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/delete-cookies-in-microsoft-edge-63947406-40ac-c3b8-57b9-2a946a29ae09
- Opera: https://www.opera.com/it/use-cases/clean-browser-and-remove-trackers
- Safari: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/safari/sfri11471/mac
For more information about the management of cookies on the most common browsers, visit the address: